“Over the year I have seen a complete transformation in [the young people referred to LYT]. I can proudly say they are in education due to LYT’s positive involvement with them.”
Are you already a member at LYT and want to support other young people build their confidence and creativity? Become a peer mentor, and work with lead facilitators in a professional setting, to help support young people on our projects. Contact Angus@lewishamyouththeatre.com or call 020 8318 2508 to find out more.
Other ways to get involved:
- Check out our Senior Youth Theatre page for performance opportunities for 16-21s
- Need support getting to your next step? If you’ve ever taken part in LYT projects, and would like support figuring out how to move on to your next steps, get in touch for mentoring. Email Angus or call 020 8318 2508
- Watch Opening Doors: find out more about creative careers through this Q&A with famous professionals
- Volunteer: LYT offers volunteering opportunities across our programmes for ages 18+. Check out our volunteering page or email Natalie
- Find New Opportunities: follow our Bulletins page on Instagram or our website
Watch this space to find out more about upcoming projects.
Previous Projects for 16-24s:
Creative Workshop Leader Training: A 6-week course that trained young people to become a workshop leader. The project developed skills such as how to plan, devise, lead and develop a workshop programme. It was an opportunity for those who already have experience of creative projects and want to take the next step on their professional journey to being creative facilitators. Following 4-weeks training, participants lead a wellbeing workshop in Lewisham based primary schools. Upon successfully completing the project, those involved had the opportunity to become paid graduate creatives, and support professional facilitators on LYT projects. Find out more here.
Young Touring Company: A unique and intensive training opportunity for young artists to create and perform a play for and about young people. The Young Touring Company is made up of 5 young theatre makers, aged 16-24, who come together to create and tour a new play. Supported by a professional production team, they take on roles as performers and production assistants to devise, produce and tour the play to schools and youth settings across Lewisham. The play uses Forum Theatre – an interactive theatre technique that gets the audience to try out solutions to the characters’ problems. Young Touring Company’s performances Stacked (2019) and Follow the Leader (2018)
Life Skills Project: Helping you get to where you want to be. A project for 16-24s, not in full-time education or employment who want help with their next steps. We are currently running adapted versions of this project with partners across Lewisham, including Lewisham Virtual Schools and Abbey Manor College.
“This has been an eye-opening experience.
It’s really prepared me for my future.”
Want to know what other young people have thought of Life Skills?
Listen to this podcast made by participants Matthew and Katrina:
How To Take Part:
In order to take part, you must:
- Be aged 16-24 and be able to attend day-time activities
- Live or learn in the London Borough of Lewisham
- Not be in full-time education, employment or training
If you are interested in being part of LYT fill in a New Enquiry Form.