“I’ve been out of work for some time now. The theatre side has really sharpened my skills, getting back into regular work pattern, being with people – feels like that’s going to make a big difference”
We offer real hands-on volunteering, placement and work experience opportunities on all our projects. Every year students, new graduates and community members give us their time and gain experience of working in a professional theatre environment.
Our volunteer interviews are followed by an induction session where our policies and expectations are shared and all our volunteers are supported by a core staff member throughout their time with us.
Current Placement & Volunteer Opportunities
Our placement and volunteer opportunities offer the chance to be part of a youth theatre creative team and work alongside professional directors, designers, and stage managers. We are currently interested in hearing from volunteers for the next academic year, across a variety of projects. Volunteers must be aged 18 or over.
Role Descriptions: Please click the links below to find out about some of our frequently recruited volunteer roles:
- Backstage and Tech Workshop Assistant Role
- Youth Theatre Help-out Week at our new venue – Corporate Teams and Local Volunteers
- We are particularly interested in volunteers to with daytime and Spring Half Term Availability for some of our projects in the New Year – please get in touch
To register your interest in volunteering, please download a Volunteer Application Form and email it to Natalie on email@example.com along with a CV. If you have any questions about volunteering or how to apply, please email or give us a call on 020 8318 2508.
Council of Management (Board Members)
Do you have skills and experience that may help Lewisham Youth Theatre to grow and thrive? Do you want to be involved with a charity making a difference in the Lewisham community?
Consider joining LYT’s Council of Management, our voluntary board who provide strategic management for the organisation.
WE ARE SEEKING NEW TRUSTEES
LYT is seeking trustees aged 18+ to help drive the vision of the charity and provide strategic leadership to the organisation. We are particularly looking for trustees with experience working within a local agency or referral partner, local government and Law. We would also be interested in hearing from candidates with experience in Educational Leadership and Digital Marketing or Broadcasting. We expect all candidates to have a belief in the power of the arts to make a difference in the lives of young people.
What is expected of Trustees?
Trustees are expected to:
- Attend 4 x quarterly Council of Management meetings per year, usually weekdays 6pm -8pm, and an annual Saturday away-day (usually in June)
- Attend the Annual General Meeting (usually in October)
- Attend performances and special events produced by the company
- Prepare for meetings by reviewing papers and having an up-to-date understanding of the issues facing the organisation
- Support the executive team to ensure the company’s legal responsibilities and strategic objectives are achieved
- Advise the charity, particularly within your area of specialism
- Promote the organisation’s work
- Support the organisation’s fundraising through introductions, promotion and fundraising events
- Although there is no expectation that trustees will make a personal financial contribution to the charity, the Council of Management as a whole has an annual fundraising target laid out in the Strategic Plan.
More information on being a Trustee, including legal responsibilities, can be found in this Information Pack.
How Do I Apply for a Trustee Position?
Please email your CV and a short covering letter/email detailing why you’d like to join LYT’s Council of Management.
We are particularly interested in hearing about:
- Your connection to LYT’s work, whether this is a local connection or a connection to youth arts more broadly;
- Why you are passionate about the work LYT does;
- How your skills/experience could support LYT’s work and our strategic development
For an informal chat about the role, please email Victoria or call on 020 8318 2508.
LYT supports work experience placements for young people who are current members. We believe young people who already participate in the youth theatre projects are able to develop their skills through work experience.
A member can request to undertake their placement with us. Each year there is a high demand for work experience placements. If the timescale enables the young person to have a varied work program we will endeavour to offer them the placement.
SAFER RECRUITMENT: All voluntary roles with Lewisham Youth Theatre involve contact with children and young people. These roles are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all subsequent amendments (England and Wales). Any successful applicants over the age of 18 will be required to obtain a DBS disclosure at the appropriate level.
You can find out more about how we make sure that all those who work or volunteer for LYT contribute to keeping children and young people safe by reading our Policies.