What’s it like to be a Member of LYT?
Hear from our members about what they get out of LYT’s projects:
Who can be a member of LYT? If you live or learn in the London Borough of Lewisham, are aged between 8-24, attend no other after school drama provision and want to find out more about theatre and performing – both onstage and backstage, then Lewisham Youth Theatre could have a project for you.
OUR CURRENT PROGRAMMES
We are currently delivering a range of activities and planning new activities for our new space at 142-144 Lewisham High Street.
If you are interested hearing about new projects, please fill in the NEW ENQUIRY form and we’ll be in touch when a project becomes available.
Projects we are currently running:
- Open Sessions and Creative Hub Taster Workshops – a chance for you to find out more about LYT!
- Facilitator Training Project – training young adults aged 18-25 to become workshop leaders
- Smash Climate Crisis Escape Room – in collaboration with SmashFest and the Junior 12-14s Acting Company
- My London Youth Social Action project for young people aged 11+ interested in making a difference in their community
- Senior Acting Company – developing their new play Confession
- Members’ Committee – planning our Annual Celebration on Thursday 28th October
Projects & Events Coming Up:
- We are Recruiting for our youth theatre projects for 8-24s starting in January.
To register your interest, please sign up via our New Enquiry form
- Creative Futures – What’s In A Creative Team? Join us on Thursday 8th December for an evening of masterclasses and a Q&A exploring the roles of director, writer, designer and producer.
How do you make sure projects are safe?
You can find out more about how we risk assess our work and keep participants safe on our policy page.
How do I sign up?
If you’d like to hear more about these project, make sure we have your details by filling in a New Enquiry Form. We’ll be in touch when we’re recruiting for a project in your age group.
Learn more about how we recruit for and allocate places on projects: download our Project Recruitment Strategy
REFERRALS TO LYT PROJECTS
What We Offer: We provide additional support to children and young people in need who are referred to our projects. Support includes:
- one-to-one meetings with participants and parents/carers/workers to help young people access our activities,
- ongoing individualised support throughout the project
- bursaries for additional theatre trips/opportunities.
Referral Criteria: We accept referrals of children and young people aged 8-24 who are ‘in need’ and could use additional support to engage in our projects.
LYT defines participants ‘in need’ as:
- Coming from families in receipt of means-tested benefits;
- Having a disability, special or mental health need (including a processing/learning difficulty, autism spectrum disorder or high anxiety);
- Coming from disrupted families (including looked-after children, young carers, those known to social services or bereaved young people);
- Facing marginalisation or requiring additional support to take part (including those with English as an additional language; young immigrants, young people who have been or at risk of exclusion)
In order to take part, young people must:
- Want to engage in drama or technical theatre sessions
- Live or learn in Lewisham
- Attend no other after school drama group
- Be able to work in a group without one-to-one support
- Priority is given to those in state/free schools, academies or home schooling
We ask young people to be keen to take part and to commit to the full project. We do not offer drop-in sessions.
How to Refer: If you work with a Lewisham young person who could benefit from LYT’s projects, please complete a Referral Form and return it to Carys Williams. LYT staff will contact you to discuss the best way to support the young person to access LYT’s projects.